Pool Chlorine and Skin
Swimming in Chlorinated Pools Exposes Skin to Chlorine.
If you swim in chlorinated pools, then you are familiar with how the pool dries and irritates your skin. Swimmers often complain of a itchy skin from chlorine, chlorine burn, or swimming pool rash. Some describe these effects as a chlorine allergy. In any event, our position is simple: if the chlorine bothers your hair and skin, washing the chlorine away is a natural starting point for fixing the problem. SwimSpray's all-natural vitamin C formula instantly eliminates chlorine.
Chlorine and Skin
- When you swim in a swimming pool, you are swimming in water that has chlorine in it. The chlorine levels recommended by the health department are usually between 1.0 - 3.0 ppm. (ppm means parts per million, meaning that theres 1-3 parts of chlorine for every million parts water).
- Your skin is made from layers of cells. The outermost layer (the one that touches the pool water) is the stratum corneum. Cells of the stratum corneum contain a dense network of keratin, a protein that helps keep the skin hydrated by preventing water evaporation. These cells can also absorb water, further aiding in hydration. In addition, this layer is responsible for the "spring back" or stretchy properties of skin.A weak glutenous protein bond pulls the skin back to its natural shape. The thickness of the stratum corneum varies throughout the body. In the palms of the hands and the soles of the feet this layer is typically thicker, since these regions require additional protection in order to grasp objects and avoid injury. In general, the stratum corneum contains 15 to 20 layers of dead cells. The stratum corneum has a thickness between 10 and 40 μm.
- Chlorine reacts with your skin cells, leaving a layer of chlorine on the surface of your skin. You may notice that you smell like chlorine? That’s because you are still covered in chlorine.
- Chlorine is a strong oxidizing agent.
- Leaving an strong oxidizing agent on your skin damages and irritates your skin. A swimmer might notice itchy skin from chlorine or a rash.